Last Updated on March 28, 2023 by Staff Writer
Mini-lobster season is a highly anticipated event in Key West, offering an unforgettable experience for both residents and visitors alike. We will provide you with the dates for the 2023 mini-lobster season, share some essential tips, and introduce you to Captain Jason at FishnFL, who can help you make the most of this exciting time.
Mark Your Calendar for 2023 Mini-Lobster Season
In 2023, mini-lobster season, also known as the “mini season,” will take place on July 26th and 27th. This brief two-day event is followed by the regular lobster season, which starts on August 6th and lasts until March 31st. Be sure to mark these dates on your calendar, as this is the perfect opportunity to experience the thrill of lobstering in Key West.
Essential Tips for a Successful Mini-Lobster Season
- Obtain the necessary permits: To participate in lobstering during the mini-season, you will need a recreational saltwater fishing license and a lobster permit.
- Learn the rules: Familiarize yourself with the daily limits and size restrictions, which vary in the Florida Keys and Biscayne National Park compared to other parts of Florida.
- Prioritize safety: Use a dive flag, follow safe boating practices, and ensure you have the proper vessel safety gear.
- Respect the environment: It’s illegal to damage, molest, or take lobsters from traps in state or federal waters.
- Master the techniques: Equip yourself with a tickle stick, a lobster net, and a dive flag. Practice coaxing the lobster out of its hiding spot by gently tickling it and then quickly scooping it up with the net.
Lobstering Locations in Key West
Key West is home to numerous excellent locations for lobstering, including coral reefs, rocky outcrops, and sea grass beds. The abundance of spiny lobsters in these areas makes it easier for both beginners and experienced lobster hunters to have a successful mini-season. When planning your lobstering adventure, consult with local experts like Captain Jason, who can guide you to the most productive spots.
Preparing for Your Lobstering Adventure
To fully enjoy the mini-lobster season, it’s essential to be well-prepared. Make sure you have the appropriate gear, including a wetsuit, gloves, mask, snorkel, fins, and a weight belt. In addition, ensure that you have the necessary tools like a tickle stick, lobster net, dive flag, and a measuring gauge to check that the lobsters meet size requirements.
It’s also crucial to research local weather and sea conditions, as they can significantly impact your lobstering experience. Always check the weather forecast and marine reports before setting out, and be prepared to adjust your plans if necessary.
Join Captain Jason at FishnFL for an Unforgettable Experience
To make the most of your mini-lobster season adventure, consider a trip with Captain Jason at FishnFL. As an experienced local captain, he knows the best spots for finding spiny lobsters and will ensure you spend more time diving and catching, rather than searching.
Additionally, Captain Jason will help you navigate the complex rules associated with lobster harvesting, including bag limits, prohibited areas, and local regulations. By joining forces with Captain Jason, you’ll be in excellent hands, guaranteeing an unforgettable experience during the 2023 mini-lobster season in Key West.
Get Out There!
The 2023 mini-lobster season in Key West takes place on July 26th and 27th, promising excitement and adventure for all who participate. By preparing in advance and partnering with Captain Jason at FishnFL, you’ll be set for a memorable and successful lobstering experience. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity – book your trip with Captain Jason today!